Baking soda, also known as sodium bicarbonate, is a versatile and inexpensive ingredient that can be found in most households. It has been used for centuries for various purposes, from cooking and cleaning to personal hygiene and healthcare.
Here are 17 reasons you should keep a box of baking soda in your home
- Neutralizes stomach acid: Baking soda can help relieve heartburn and indigestion by neutralizing stomach acid. Simply mix half a teaspoon of baking soda with a glass of water and drink it down.
- Soothes sunburn: Mix baking soda with water to make a paste and apply it to sunburned skin for instant relief.
- Whitens teeth: Baking soda can help remove surface stains on your teeth and improve their overall appearance. Simply add a small amount of baking soda to your toothpaste and brush as usual.
- Deodorizes your fridge: Place a small box of baking soda in your refrigerator to absorb unpleasant odors.
- Cleans your kitchen: Baking soda can be used as a gentle abrasive to scrub away grime and stains on kitchen counters, sinks, and cookware.
- Softens your skin: Add a cup of baking soda to your bathwater for a relaxing and skin-softening soak.
- Deodorizes your shoes: Sprinkle baking soda inside your shoes to absorb unpleasant odors.
- Cleans your hair: Baking soda can be used as a natural shampoo to cleanse and clarify your hair.
- Relieves insect bites: Make a paste of baking soda and water and apply it to insect bites to reduce itching and inflammation.
- Unclogs drains: Pour a cup of baking soda down a clogged drain, followed by a cup of vinegar. Wait for a few minutes, then flush with hot water.
- Removes stains from clothes: Make a paste of baking soda and water and apply it to stubborn stains on clothes before washing.
- Exfoliates your skin: Mix baking soda with a small amount of water to make a paste, then gently rub it on your skin in circular motions to exfoliate and remove dead skin cells.
- Freshens your laundry: Add a half cup of baking soda to your laundry detergent to boost its cleaning power and freshen your clothes.
- Relieves poison ivy: Mix baking soda with water to make a paste and apply it to poison ivy to soothe the itch and reduce inflammation.
- Cleans your car: Baking soda can be used to clean the inside and outside of your car.
- Makes a great fire extinguisher: Keep a box of baking soda near your stove in case of a grease fire.
- Used as an alternative for baking powder in cooking and baking.
These are just a few of the many uses for baking soda. It's an inexpensive and natural solution for many common household problems. But its benefits don't stop there. It also has several health benefits that have been backed by clinical and medical studies.
Baking soda has been found to have anti-inflammatory properties and can help reduce the risk of developing certain chronic diseases such as kidney disease and diabetes. According to a study published in the Journal of the American Society of Nephrology, consuming baking soda can help lower the risk of developing chronic kidney disease. Another study published in the Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism found that consuming baking soda can help improve insulin sensitivity in overweight individuals.
I remember my mom using baking soda when I was a kid. I have used it myself in my home as a cleaner and it works fantastic to relieve indigestion. Just add 1/2 to 1 tsp baking soda to 4-6 oz water and minutes later you will feel the pressure being relieved. I have taken as much as 1 tbsp for indigestion.
I have used baking soda as a cleaner for dozens of projects around the house. It works fantastic on ovens. Just put baking soda, lemon juice and vinegar in a bowl, make a paste and coat the oven surface, let sit for about an hour and wipe. In most cases it comes off very easily the first time around. If there are any spots left just reapply and let it sit a little longer. Your oven will be sparkling clean without the use of harmful chemicals.